Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Distressed Pink Sewing Table

My mother-in-law, Nori, found a horribly painted sewing table at a garage sale about 5 or 6 months ago, and she bought it for me.  She knows that I'm always looking for a great piece of furniture to pretty up, and I finally completed the task.

Here is a sort-of before picture.  I already sanded off the 50 layers of ugly yellow on the top.  As you can see, I started to sand it off the remainder, but then I decided I wanted to keep a shabby two-tone look.  I sanded some parts of it bare, and kept a majority of the yellow on (lightly sanded).


And here is the after:



I primed it with a Valspar Primer spray can (light coat) only on the top half.  I wanted more yellow to peak through at the bottom, which with the pictures, you can't even see that well.  The pink paint color is Valspar's "Rosy Cheeks" (3 light coats).

 I let that dry, and the next day I grabbed a coarse piece of sandpaper and really dug into the table, especially along the corners and sides.  Once I had it shabby enough, I used Valspar's Antiquing Glaze.  Voila!



The compartment for the sewing machine was really beat up, and I was not at all interested in repairing.  I'm using it as bedside table, so I simply placed a basket on top of the compartment.




Before and After:

4 comments:

  1. Your table turned out wonderful. Love the shabby pink sweetness. Just lovely!
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suzanne!!! It really brought some life to my room. :)

      Gabby

      Delete
  2. This table is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!! I love the color & the distressing is just beautiful! Great job!! Thanks so much for sharing & thanks for linking up to the "Make It" party!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Tonya! I was hoping it would turn out ok. I was a little nervous about the color, considering my bedroom has nothing in there like it. Thankfully, it stands out in a good way. Thank YOU for hosting such a great party.

      Gabby

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.