Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Fall Wreath 2012

I am not sure why I had to add the "2012" in there; I'm pretty sure I didn't even make one last year.  Nevertheless, it's stayin'.

What I used:

A nice $2.99 raffia wreath from Joann's (with a 40% coupon)
Moss - I found the vibrant, green moss at Joann's.
Some fluffy yarn - I'm not quite at technicalities, folks.
Styrofoam Balls (2 sizes)
Rope (for pumpkin stems)
Hot glue


I didn't do a step-by-step photo tutorial.  This was some bonding time with my mother and mother-in-law, as we brought in the first day of September with a Fall wreath-making activity.  Don't worry...it's pretty easy to do.



There are tons of plastic bindings all over the wreath, but no need to unbind!  It will make the moss gluing process much easier.  I basically hot glued a small amount at a time, only placing about a handful of moss on top of each glued section.  Keep going until it's completely covered.  I used about 2 1/2 bags of moss.



I made four pumpkins.  Two large and two small to represent our family.  I did not, however, need 4 styrofoam balls, because I cut them in half.  I only used one large styrofoam ball and one small.  Once they are in half, use either hot glue or styrofoam glue to complete cover each half.  I used the beige toned yarn on two of the sections, orange on the other two.  Once they are secure and mostly dry, push past the yarn at the top, make a small hole into the styrofoam, add a few drops of hot glue, and then place in a couple of small pieces of rope, maybe about an inch in length.  I glued 2, sometimes 3 pieces of rope together in order to have a thicker pumpkin stem.

After everything is complete, glue your pumpkin halves to your wreath, and that's it.  Here's my end product:




Linking Up:
Sugar and Dots - House of Hepworths - Pin'inspiration Thursday - Tidy Mom - At the Picket Fence - Tatertots and Jello - The Shabby Nest - Classy Clutter - Funky Junk Interiors - I Heart Naptime - C.R.A.F.T. - Tip Junkie -

4 comments:

  1. I love the whole grassy look! So original! I would love to have you stop by and enter my link party, as well. (Hosted every Saturday) http://www.oneshetwoshe.com/2012/09/hello-weekend-50-mikarose-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was nervous about all the moss, so thanks! I have a dark door, and I needed a wreath that wouldn't blend in, like so many of mine in the past. I will certainly have to stop by!

      Delete
  2. How do you cover the pumpkin with yarn?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I placed a few lines of hot glue on a halved styrofoam ball in order to secure the yarn onto it. I then began wrapping the yarn around it, and added more hot glue every once in a while to keep it from falling off. I kept going until all of the styrofoam in the front was completely covered. I also tried styrofoam glue on one of them. It worked, but you just have to wait for it to dry.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.